Rants, Reviews, and Randomness courtesy of Jason's brain.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Whose choice is it?

Since human beings have cared to argue, we've loved to debate over the ideas of free will and predestination. Some say it's our choice, others that it's God's alone, others that it's somehow both. (There are, of course, those who don't care to argue about it, but that's no fun, is it?)

If you believe in free will, then your song, like Jon's (the singer from one of my bands in high school) is "I'll forge my own/your destiny is what you make it". You may find predestination "too nihilistic". You'll say things like "human beings aren't robots" and quote scripture like "choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve". You believe that salvation is a choice open to all people and maybe even that we can choose to give it up (as one book I have puts it, "apostasy is an option").
If you believe in predestination, your song is "destiny is in your hands/who is like our God?". You probably think that free will is contradictory to God's omnipotence. You'll say things like "God causes bad things to happen so His love and mercy can be seen in contrast" and quote scripture like "God chose you before the foundation of the world to be conformed to the image of His Son". You believe that God chooses who gets saved and who doesn't, that it can't be "lost" because it's not in human hands, and maybe even that Christ only died for those who are predestined for salvation (suggesting that it would be a waste of His blood to offer it to people who He knows won't accept it).
If you believe in some combination of the two (to paraphrase Erik, "the truth in most dichotomies lies somewhere in the middle") then I don't know what your song is, but there's probably one for you somewhere, too. Maybe some are predestined while others aren't. Maybe specific events are predestined but the people who fulfil them have to have made the right choices to get there. The only scripture I could think of for you is "the man of God avoids all extremes".
Regardless of your point of view, one thing holds true in my experience: we always perceive that we have choices. When you go to hake a sandwich, at some point you chose turkey over ham. At some point during temptation you realize that you can choose not to sin (but you probably go ahead and do it anyway).
So what's my point? Am I on the free will side? No. Am I for predestination, then? No. I'm on the side that says living life with godly wisdom is necessary whether or not you're in charge by any stretch of the imagination, because in the end you're the one that's accountable.

(By the way, I'll argue for either side of the debate because I think it's fun and intellectually stimulating. If you like these kind of debates, remember what Denny (one of my Sunday School Teachers) says, "If your theology isn't practical, it doesn't work" (paraphrase and pun by me).

1 comment:

Arminius said...

I don't think I used the actual word "dichotomies" but I could have.