Rants, Reviews, and Randomness courtesy of Jason's brain.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Exchanging Reverance For Relevance, Part One: A Question

Is the American Church guilty of sacrificing our fear and reverence of our Holy, inapproachable, infinitely just God for the sake of making Him appear more friendly to the average American?

I'll have to qualify my question here, I suppose. First, I accept that the whole of the Church in the US is not guilty of doing this, what I'm asking about here is the Church in general rather than in each individual case. Second, I believe just as other Christians do that God is not only about justice, otherwise I wouldn't be a Christian. "It is by grace you have been saved. This is through faith, and not of yourselves. It is the gift of Almighty God, not by works, so that no man can boast"(Ephesians 2:8-9, paraphrased). What I'm asking is whether we are, in effect, acting as God's PR agent in the world, highlighting what makes us comfortable with Him and playing down what scares us or makes us uncomfortable.

In the next installments, I'll share my reasons for asking this question, explore the implications of answering "yes" to this question, and present my view (not by any means an expert evaluation of the issue).

No comments: